Nickname: “The Pearl of Africa”
Population: 44,270,563 (As of July 2018)
Population Rank: 32nd
Largest City in Population: Kampala- 1,353,189
Religion: Catholic- 39.3%, Church of Uganda (Anglican)- 32.0%, Other forms of Christianity- 13.2%, Sunni Islam- 12.1%, Other forms of Islam- 1.6%, Atheism or Agnosticism- 0.2% (As of 2017)
Sub-region: Eastern Africa
- Land-locked country (South Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya)
- 11% of the world’s bird population is in Uganda
- Uganda has 6.8% of the world’s butterfly population
Area: 241,550 sq. km.
- Comparable size to the state of Oregon.
Languages: English (Official), Swahili (Official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
Life Expectancy: Male- 60.2; Female- 64.8 (According to World Health Rankings)
- Youngest country in the world. 50% of the population is 14 years and younger.
National Sport: Soccer (Futbol)
- The national soccer team is the Uganda Cranes. Currently they are ranked 82nd in the world according to FIFA. That is in between Curacao and Congo.
- The Cranes have never made the FIFA World Cup. Their best finish in the African Cup of Nations was runner up 1978.