Last updated on July 6, 2020
Nickname: “The Pearl of Africa”
Population: 45,046,910 (As of January 2020)
- The population is equivalent to 0.59% of the world population.
Population Rank: 31st
Largest City in Population: Kampala- 1,359,189
Religion: Catholic- 39.3%, Church of Uganda (Anglican)- 32.0%, Other forms of Christianity- 13.2%, Sunni Islam- 12.1%, Other forms of Islam- 1.6%, Atheism or Agnosticism- 0.2% (As of 2017)
Sub-region: Eastern Africa
- Land-locked country (South Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya)
- 11% of the world’s bird population is in Uganda
- Uganda has 6.8% of the world’s butterfly population
Area: 241,550 sq. km.
- Comparable size to the state of Oregon.
Languages: English (Official), Swahili (Official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
Life Expectancy: Male- 62; Female- 66.7 (According to worldometers.info)
- Youngest country in the world. 50% of the population is 14 years and younger.
- The median age is 16.7. Median age is the age that divides a population into two numerically equal groups – that is, half the people are younger than this age and half are older.
National Sport: Soccer (Futbol)
- The national soccer team is the Uganda Cranes. Currently they are ranked 146th in the world according to FIFA. That is in between Malawi and Lesotho.
- The Cranes have never made the FIFA World Cup. Their best finish in the African Cup of Nations was runner up 1978.